This policy sets out how Nikon Australia Pty Limited ("Nikon Australia", "we") handles your personal information.
What types of personal information does Nikon Australia collect?
Nikon Australia collects personal information from its customers and contacts for businesses with which Nikon Australia deals. The type of information we collect will vary depending on our interaction with you, and could include information such as your name, age, gender, email address, mobile phone number, phone number, fax number and credit card details. We also handle your credit information (see our credit management policy below).
How does Nikon Australia collect your personal information?
A cookie is an element of data that a website can send to the browser in your computer, which may then store this piece of data on your system, usually in a temporary Internet file or cache file. This piece of data helps us provide you with tailored information that is:
• better suited to the interests you have told us you have, or
• based on pages that you have accessed in the past.
You can set your browser to tell you, by way of a warning prompt, when you receive a cookie. This provides you the choice of whether to accept it or not. As a result of:
• not accepting it, the next time you visit the site you may have to make a number of additional choices about what you view;
• accepting it, the Nikon Australia site can more quickly direct you to your particular area of interest.
Why does Nikon Australia collect your personal information?
Nikon Australia collects personal information about you that is necessary for us to perform our functions. Generally, your personal information is collected by Nikon Australia for the following purposes:
• to provide goods and services to you, such as validating a subscription to an e-mail newsletter or processing an order made by you;
• to communicate with you about product upgrades, special offers, updated information and new services from Nikon Australia;
• to run competitions;
• to assist us quickly find the information, services or software that your require;
• to enable us to provide software patches and verify that software is properly licensed and its location identified;
• to improve our products and services and web content; and
• to comply with Nikon Australia's legal obligations.
How does Nikon Australia hold your personal information?
Nikon Australia takes reasonable steps to protect personal information held from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure by, for instance, using physical security and restricting access to electronic records. All personal information you provide to Nikon Australia is secured in our server with restricted access. Nikon Australia personnel are also required to respect the confidentiality of personal information and the privacy of individuals. Only designated employees or agents who need to carry out legitimate business functions for Nikon Australia are permitted to view personal information.
Nikon Australia may also use agents to provide storage and processing functions and ensures that these agents are bound by strict confidentiality guidelines. We generally require that organisations who handle or obtain personal information as service providers to Nikon Australia acknowledge the confidentiality of this information, undertake to respect an individual’s right to privacy and comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and this Policy.
How can you access or correct your personal information?
Subject to the exceptions set out in the Privacy Act, you may seek access to, or correction of, the personal information Nikon Australia holds about you. If you believe that the information requires changing or has become out-of-date, please contact our Privacy Officer / Head of Internal Services using the details given below.
We may request that you place your request in writing. Nikon Australia will deal with requests as quickly as possible and will endeavour to respond within 14 days of receipt of the request in writing. In certain circumstances Nikon Australia is entitled to deny access. If access is denied, reasons for the denial of access will be given in writing.
How can you make a privacy related complaint?
If you wish to complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles and how Nikon Australia deals with such a complaint, contact our Privacy Officer / Head of Internal Services using the details given below. We will take all reasonable steps to investigate your concern and will correct any problem found within a reasonable time. If Nikon Australia is unable to resolve your complaint within a reasonable time, you may lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
To whom may Nikon Australia disclose your personal information?
Nikon Australia may disclose your personal information to:
• companies within the Nikon Corporation located in Asia, Europe and the United States of America ; and
• anyone else to whom you authorise us to disclose your personal information.
Nikon Australia's website offers you links to other websites. Nikon Australia is not responsible for the privacy practices or any content you may find on such sites.
What types of credit information does Nikon Australia collect?
When you complete an application to receive commercial credit, Nikon Australia will collect credit information including your full name and the type and amount of commercial credit you seek.
Nikon Australia may also obtain a credit report about you. A credit report contains information about your credit history which we use to verify your identity and assess your application for commercial credit.
How does Nikon Australia collect and hold your credit information?
Nikon Australia collects credit information directly from you when you complete the application. We may also obtain a credit report about you from credit reporting bodies to assess your application.
Nikon Australia stores your credit information securely and restricts access to designated employees and agents.
Why does Nikon Australia collect, hold, use and disclose your credit information?
Nikon Australia collects your credit information to determine if you can meet repayments under your agreement with us. We obtain credit information about you to verify your identity, assess your application for credit, manage our relationship with you and for the purposes of collecting overdue payments. We may also use this information as part of our internal assessment of your credit worthiness.
How can you access or correct your credit information?
You can access credit-related information we hold about you by contacting our Privacy Officer / Head of Internal Services using the details listed below.
How can you make a complaint?
If you believe Nikon Australia has failed to comply with the credit reporting provisions of the Privacy Act or the requirements of a registered Credit Reporting Code that binds Nikon Australia, please contact our Privacy Officer / Head of Internal Services on using the contact details listed below.
When making a complaint, you will need to specify the nature of your complaint. Nikon Australia will then deal with your complaint as follows:
• Receipt: within 7 days after you make your complaint, we will provide you with a written notice that acknowledges receipt and explains how we will deal with your complaint;
• Investigation: we will then investigate your complaint. If we consider it is necessary to do so, we will consult a credit reporting body or credit provider at this stage.
• Decision: After we have investigated your complaint and no later than 30 days after your complaint was made, we will make a decision. We will provide you with a written notice setting out the decision and stating that if you are not satisfied with the decision, that you may access an external dispute resolution scheme of which Nikon Australia is a member or make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner. If you have agreed in writing, we may take a longer period of time to make a decision.
To whom may Nikon Australia disclose your credit information?
Nikon Australia may disclose your credit information to the following bodies for the purpose of assessing your application for credit, managing your relationship with us and collecting overdue payments:
• companies within the Nikon Corporation located in Asia, Europe and the United States of America;
• Nikon Australia's credit insurers, such as QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited; and
• Nikon Australia's insurance brokers, such as Aon Australia Pty Ltd.
Contact our Privacy Officer
Please direct privacy related inquiries to our Privacy Officer / Head of Internal Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, (02) 8767 6900 or:
Nikon Australia Pty Ltd
Level 5, 5 Rider Boulevard
Rhodes NSW 2138
Attention: Privacy Officer / Head of Internal Services